Every spring and fall, there are numerous clean up jobs you must do to have a tidy and colorful curb appeal going into winter. You’ve invested a lot of time and money making your Baldwin or Mobile County, AL property look gorgeous.
So, you now have some clean up to do in your lawn and garden to make your curb appeal look its best and to protect your investment.
Six Lawn and Landscape Jobs
There are six main chores you need to do to keep your property looking its best. Here are those jobs:
- Clean up your flower beds and add fall color: Now is the time to pull out summer annuals and replace them with fall annuals such as; pansies, viola, kale and Plant bulbs now so you have beautiful blooms later in the season as well as plant bulbs for spring blossoms.
- Prune and plant trees and shrubs: Trim back diseased and dead wood on your ornamental trees and shrubs. Fall is the perfect time to plant trees and shrubs in your landscape. The cooler air temperature and the soil temperature that’s still warm provides the best conditions for shrubs and trees to develop deep root systems over the winter.
- Improve your lawn’s pH: At Xtreme Turf Lawn Care, we’ll test your soil to see if your yard needs gypsum or lime applications. Generally, lawns in newly constructed homes and sub-divisions need gypsum to aid with soil compaction If your home is in the woods or has plenty of tree cover, then you probably have acidic soils. We apply lime to “sweeten” your soil for healthy
- Give your roses some TLC: Test the soil where your roses are planted to check for missing nutrients and minerals. Add fertilizer based on the soil test results and the needs of your roses. November is a great time to plant new varieties too.
- Freshen up your pine mulch: Clean out older mulch from last spring and summer. Add more pine mulch under your trees and shrubs as well as in your flowerbeds. But don’t create a volcano-effect near the trunks. Otherwise, you run the risk of your woody ornamentals developing rot or being eaten by rodents.
Pine mulch will protect your plant root systems from frost heave during the winter. Plus, mulch will add extra nutrition to the soil.
- Pick up all leaves: Make sure you rake up all the leaves off of your yard. If you don’t clean up your leaves in the fall, you run the chance that your turfgrass will die or that your lawn will have a disease come early spring.
How Xtreme Turf Lawn Care Helps You Prepare Your Lawn and Landscape for Winter
Take your weekends back this fall and hire a professional lawn care company to take care of your turfgrass this fall.
At Xtreme Turf Lawn Care, we’ll do the following fall chores for you:
- Test your soil to see if it needs lime
- Add pre-emergent weed control to prevent winter weeds
If you need winter weed control or soil amendments this fall, call us today at 251-648-9947 or fill out our contact form.
Xtreme Turf Lawn Care serves homeowners in Daphne, Fairhope, Foley, Gulf Shore, Loxley, Mobile, and Spanish Fort, AL.
Alabama A&M and Auburn University, “Alabama’s Gardener’s Calendar.”
AlabamaLiving.coop, “Winter Garden Preparations.”